Like many web-based business owners these days, you might be migrating your ecommerce site to Magento from another popular platform. Or maybe you just finished the newly migrated Magento store, and you’re ready to go live.
But unless you were born a Magento wizard, there’s probably a lot for you to learn before you launch the updated site.
With that in mind, the Cadence Labs team (comprised of bonafide Magento wizards) put together this helpful checklist for you to reference before you go live with the Magento-migrated site:
- Have you checked to make sure the production server meets Magento’s standard requirements? Check out those requirements on Magento.com.
- Have you put up a maintenance page for customers to see during the switch?
- Have you backed up, migrated or created a copy of any essential data (customers, orders, etc.)
- If changing servers, have you updated your domain’s TTL? (For those who don’t know, TTL refers to time-to-live, and refers to an Internet Protocol (IP) packet that tells a network router whether or not the packet has been in the network too long and should be discarded).
- Checked to make sure all recent security patches and updates are installed? This is imperative to the safety of your online store, trust us.
- Checked to make sure you have the correct Base URLs in place?
- Updated Transaction emails?
- Changed your admin URL? (This is extremely important for security purposes).
- Updated your tax zones and rates?
- Added any 301 redirects to your .htaccess file? (According to the Internet Marketing Glossary, A 301 redirect is a method of telling web browsers and search engines that a web page or site has been permanently moved to a new location).
- Turned on caching?
- Installed Google Analytics and any other pixels?
- Tested checkout with all payment methods?
- Tested logging in and out?
- Tested shipping methods?
- Installed your SSL certificate?
- Confirmed that all extensions are working correctly and that your domain is whitelisted for any licenses?
- Turned on log cleaning?
- Checked your meta tags for “INDEX,FOLLOW”?
- Verified that your robot.txt file is correctly set up?
- Verified that emails are being added to your newsletter list?
- Checked your Google Sitemap?
Once you’ve checked all of these off the list, you should be ready to launch. Good luck!
Note: Please do not use this checklist for altogether new websites.